Saturday, January 18, 2014

Glorious Gluten Free Fudge


Fudge is one of the staples of the holidays, but I don't know why it needs to be pushed to such a small portion of the year!  It is one of my favorite treats - just enough for those afternoon chocolate cravings.  Yum! 

This recipe is a tried and true one for me and I've been making it for years; it is Foolproof chocolate fudge from the Hershey's Chocolate Lover's cookbook.  I was a little sad when I started preparing for the holiday baking season and thought I might not be able to make it because of the gluten-free standard I now live by.  But I was so excited to realize that it was already gluten free as long as I bought the right brands as ingredients.  

                                            
I spent quite a bit of time trying to research each brand and came to the conclusion that most likely all sweetened condensed milk brands are naturally gluten free, but the only one that actually stated it was Eagle brand.  It can be frustrating when something is naturally gluten free because it's not always easy to tell when shopping.  However, now there seems to be more and more products that are being re-labeled as gluten-free and sold as a specialty product.  Sometimes sitting right there on the same shelf, side by side and even though they are exactly the same product the one with the new label is significantly higher priced.  It pays to do your homework, but it is a time-consuming venture to be sure.

But, back to the fudge itself.  I love the texture of this recipe because it is smooth and creamy with a dense melt-in-your mouth richness.  It is sturdy and can hold up to sitting out all day without drying out or melting yet, as soon as you take a bite you are feeling velvety goodness immediately.  



I made two different versions this year, one with nuts and one without.  To save time and space I used a 9x13 pan and used a folded sheet of waxed paper to keep the first batch to just half the pan and then after I put in the next batch I took out the separating paper.


It worked out great and there was a lot of each for everyone.  

The recipe is:
3 c. Ghiradelli Chocolate chips (a bag & a half - yes I just eyeball it)
1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened and condensed milk
1 Dash of Salt 
1 1/2 tsp real vanilla
1 c. nuts (I use walnuts)

Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with waxed paper.  Parchment paper is not good as it sticks, waxed paper is best.



In a saucepan put the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and salt.  Stir slowly on med-low heat; constantly, until all the chocolate is melted and thoroughly blended.  Take off heat and add vanilla and nuts.  Stir until completely incorporated.  Dump into prepared pan and smooth out to edges with the back of the spoon.  Let sit until cooled - can put into refrigerator also.  Once cooled and set, pull out of pan by the edges of the paper (might have to turn upside down and give the pan a "pat") then peel the waxed paper off and cut into equal squares.  Should make 64 1" pieces.



I've put this recipe through a lot of challenges over the years - I am quite often forgetting that dash of salt for instance!  I've even let the chocolate get a little scorched while I take too long getting the milk into the pan, but with some extra stirring it came out - still silky smooth and delicious.  I don't think that you can go wrong with this recipe, except eating it all before you share it with anyone, but even then you just have to make another batch. . . . oh, darn!  :)

                                         



No comments:

Post a Comment