Friday, June 13, 2014

GF Banana Donuts with Maple Bacon glaze

It's been a while. . . . I had to stop baking each week because there wasn't anyone to give everything to and the scale was obnoxiously telling me it wasn't a good idea that I was eating it all.




Sometimes I just get a craving for something and can't get it out of my head.  That's what happened with these donuts.  Actually it was the maple bacon glaze that I really wanted
and then it was just finding out what I wanted to put under it.  I first made some banana muffins and they turned out well, however, I was trying to modify too much at once I think and used applesauce instead of the oil as well as converting the flour and they came out a little dense and chewy.  Since I'm not sure if it was the xanthan gum amount or the applesauce I'm going to have to do some more research on that front before they are perfected.  Right out of the oven though they were great!  I made a quick maple butter cream too and that was delicious; because everything goes well with a good butter cream!  But the best was with whipped coconut cream!



For the donuts I didn't even have to convert the recipe because I found one in one of my favorite books "Cooking for Isaiah" by Silvana Nardone but then of course made my own glaze because that was the point :)

The donuts have a funky look to the top of them before they are taken out of the pan and I wish they would round on both sides but it's fine - just flip them over.



They are perfect in texture being somewhat cake like but still light and airy like you'd expect a donut to be.  I'm pretty sure if you don't have a donut pan you can use a muffin pan and they would work out just fine too.  Just out of the oven on a cold morning - mmmm, wonderful!  Even after a couple days on the counter, lightly covered, they were still delicious.  I had to really refrain from eating them all the first day, but I used a large amount of will power to make them last.  That's a huge win in my book!

Banana Doughnuts
  by Silvana Nardone in her book "Cooking for Isaiah"
1 1/4 c All purpose gluten free flour
(if using my mix of flour add 3/4 tsp xanthan gum)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, room temp
1 c. granulated sugar
1 1/2 c mashed ripe bananas (1 1/2 large or 3 sm/med)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray donut pan.  (you can use two in order to go faster, but I just have one and let it take a little longer.  If you spray it you shouldn't need to wash it out in between batches)

In a large bowl, or your Kitchen Aid, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, bananas, vanilla and oil.  Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.  Fill each donut cup about 3/4 full - make sure you can see the center of the pan.

Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean - set the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely.

Maple Bacon Icing


Powder sugar
Maple Syrup
Bacon Bits

Unfortunately this is my recipe and it is all done by eye.  It's about a 1/2 cup powdered sugar with enough maple syrup to make it thin enough to slowly drizzle off the spoon.

Dip the top of the cooled donut into the glaze - you might need to let the first layer cool and then do it a second time.  When you've decided it is thick enough, before it is cooled and set; sprinkle with bacon bits.

I have to say - just thinking about these again makes my mouth water and I just might have to make them again this weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment