Friday, July 20, 2012

Barbies and ponies



What little girl doesn't like Barbies and ponies?  My husband and I thought our daughter was just like that when she was 5.  She had a Barbie cake for her birthday and begged for a pony.  By the time she was 9 we finally believed that she might really want to ride and caved in.  12 years later she is about to become a professional trainer and contiues to challenge herself to jump to higher and higher levels.  She is going to college about 3000 miles away from home and I was able to finally see her ride recently in a special clinic/competition called the Emerging Athletes Program.  Ok, yes, this is a blatently "proud momma" post so far, but let's face it - I am :)  It also took me far from my kitchen for a while! 

Now that I'm back and baking again I found myself doing a Barbie cake.  It was fun because it did remind me of that cake so long ago when the ponies were just a little girls fantasy.  This time it was for another special girl who doesn't have the opportunity to ride ponies too.  After coming home from my visit I was a little sad so it was nice to have the opportunity to reminise.  Then delivering the cake and watching the eyes light up of the birthday girl, gave me the boost of energy I needed to keep baking every week :)


No comments:

Post a Comment