Saturday, November 3, 2012

Halloween cakes

It seems like my life has turned into a mix of either having a bit of time on my hands where I can start to feel like I'm making progress on long overdue projects, or so overwhelmingly busy I can barely take a breath!  I know as the holidays approach that will develop into a nice steady stream of crazy busy too.  In the last week and a half I have done 4 birthday cakes, a birthday pie and a bridal shower cake.  Not to mention my weekly baking on behalf of my quest for more knowledge. 

This cake was one that Audrey requested of me for her dorm resident advisers.  She didn't give me too many details - "just make it go with Halloween; maybe some ghosts with party hats or something"  So that's what she got.  The inside was a confetti of orange & black.  I didn't even know how many people it was supposed to be for (college students!) so I just took a stab at it and then only 3 of my ghosts fit onto it.  It turned out that there were 3 girls celebrating their October birthdays so - yeah, I meant to do that! 


It was also the week to take the local Women's shelter their monthly celebration cake.  I decided to go with a candy corn theme.  I wish I could have seen how it looked when it got cut because I made the bottom layer orange and then top layer yellow so it would hopefully resemble the candy on each plate.  Sometimes making simple half-sheet cakes can become monotonous and boring from a decorating perspective but I'm just thankful that they let me do whatever I want each month and that keeps it fun.


 
The last actual Halloween baking was for our church.  They decided to put together a carnival for all the local kid and needed cupcakes for one of the booths.  They weren't anything too spectacular but I hear that they went over really well with the families that came through. 
 
 
I couldn't help a little fun too - since this is my Halloween post - I stayed home to hand out candy while Craig went and worked "security" at church.  The house gets quiet sometimes now with both girls off to college and that means that the animals get a little more attention.  I happened to remember that Libby had a costume so I thought it would be fun to put her in it for all the little kids when they came to the door.  I also thought it might give her something else to think about instead of barking at the doorbell each time.  She wouldn't have any of it - but Bear was quite curious about it . . . He was very happy to strut around looking like a bumble bee!  So between the 2 of them they made several little kids very happy!





No comments:

Post a Comment