Friday, March 8, 2013

Banana Pancakes


Sometimes there are just some things that have to be made - this was one of them!  I don't normally make pancakes, at least I'm not the one to do the cooking of them.  I get annoyed by how long it takes and then everyone always wants to eat them right off the griddle while I'm still making them.  And then when I finally want one I get the cold ones.  I solved this problem by allowing my husband the privilege of making them :)  He has become the pancake king to our youngest daughter and even though she is 18 and off to college, when she comes home and wants pancakes she expects them to be "Daddy's" pancakes.  Which includes a full amount of chocolate chips as well. 

Because Craig has been traveling a lot lately, a LOT, and Audrey is off to college - we haven't had pancakes in a very long time.  I actually missed them. 
It helps that when I looked up gluten-free recipes I found several pancake recipes.  I think that when you're told to move to a gluten-free diet it makes you want all things made with traditional flour!  And it seems that brownies and pancakes have easy recipes to convert because they are all over the internet.  Seeing so many of them worked on me and I wanted them so much I was willing to use the griddle myself.



I decided I'm too "young" in my gluten-free knowledge to mix up a batch of all-purpose flour so I made the trip to Trader Joe's for some of theirs.  Because its winter and the thought of bananas brought up memories of vacations to tropical locales, I decided to use coconut milk too. 

While my camera skills still need some work too I think it shows how fluffy these turned out.  They puffed up just like any other pancake.  I didn't notice any difference in texture at all which I thought was great because that's the biggest challenge I've been having with gluten-free.  I am very particular about the mouth-feel of foods and find many texture differences between traditional wheat flour products and those made with other flours. 


I added some almond butter onto my second pancake before I topped it with the bananas then a drizzle of real maple syrup . . . m m m!  These really hit the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment