Saturday, April 13, 2013

Chocolate Mini Donuts and 100 posts!

This is my 100th post!  I was really surprised when I saw that it was coming up - I kind of froze up a bit too because I started overthinking what I would do to celebrate it.  I decided in the end that I needed to just keep doing what I have been doing and keep baking :)


 
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have purchased a few new cookbooks on gluten free baking.  It seems that every one of them felt the need to tempt me with wonderful looking chocolate donuts.  I finally broke down and bought a mini donut pan so that I could give these little gems a try.  They did not disappoint!  They were perfectly cake-like with a light airy texture and rich dark chocolate
flavor.  The added bonus of a rich chocolate glaze was just the little luxury that brings a bit of peace to life in the morning with a hot cup of coffee.  I believe all pastry should be considered a breakfast food and these were perfect for that purpose.  The biggest problem is that they were so little and cute that eating 3, 4 or 5 of them seemed like the right thing to do!
 
 
As always, starting with all the ingredients laid out is helpful. 


 
It was at this point that I had to deal with a deliemma.  I had already used butter so technically these could not be dairy free, but for me butter doesn't seem to hurt as bad as actual milk.  This recipe called for heavy cream.  I worried that if I substituted almond milk or something like that the texture would not be the same because of the consistency.  So I decided to go for it and see what happened.

 
This is the batter when after the addition and it was all ready to be put in the pan.
 
 
Using the mini pan it only took about a tablespoon of batter in each space.  The recipe said it would make about 15 mini donuts - I ended up with 3 dozen!

 
They were perfect little bites of goodness!
 
 
Then made even better after dipped into a rich glaze

 
The texture was light and more cake like than a dense brownie.  That is what I feared because of using the gluten free flour mix but it was no different than any I've had with regular wheat flour.

 
I had to share these because even now, I'm starting to feel my stomach growling just looking at the pictures!  I will be making many more of these in the future.  I am going to try to do it with almond or coconut milk too and see what difference I can see, although it doesn't seem necessary for my family's health. 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment