Saturday, April 6, 2013

Magic Bars


For some reason I wanted to make a blondie type brownie really bad!  It was one of those things that I got in my head and it just wouldn't go away.  I was so excited when I found this recipe in one of my new gluten free cookbooks!  I've spent quite a bit of time going over recipes lately; in the store, online and in my own recipe box.  Trying to figure out how to rework what I already have into gluten free options and learning new recipes that have already been reworked by others.  This one comes from "Gluten-Free on a Shoestring, quick & easy" by Nicole Hunn. 

First, of course, I got all of my supplies ready - including the AP Flour mix that I made from Silvana Nardone's book "Cooking for Isaiah".

 
After that it pretty much worked out just like any other recipe or brownie style batter. 
First mix up the dry ingredients and then mix in the wet.  This one looked similar to a cake batter before I added the corn flakes.
 
 
and kind of still looked like a cake batter after
 
I added dark chocolate chips as well as the called for white ones

 
But it baked up very nice and thick.  I actually had to keep it in the oven for a little longer than it called for because I had a brain-fade about the time I added the butter and instead of double checking the amount to add, I just added the whole stick.  It was only supposed to be 6 oz of it.  But it all worked out and they were moist and chewy and tasty when all was said and done.  I'll try it again in the future with the right amount of butter and see if it really makes a big difference other than needing extra time in the oven.



One of the biggest tests I have right now is to see if my family will eat what I bake and say that it is "good for gluten-free" or just plain "good".  This got a very high rating before they even knew it was gluten-free and it was stated plainly that "these are just good because they're good".  I'll take that as a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment