Sunday, October 27, 2013

Carved Basketball Birthday cake




 It has been so long since I've been able to bake anything, that I didn't even realize I hadn't posted all of the cakes I did this summer!  It has been a very full year in our home - a lot of travel, I mean a lot - as well as getting our oldest graduated from college and started out on her own with her first job and apartment, getting our youngest off to her sophomore year of college at her dream school which is 2500 miles from home, my husband getting a promotion, selling our house and moving across the state.  I think that about covers it :) I love to keep all of my baking adventures here and not muddle it up too much with other stuff so I decided to start a sister blog called Glitter and Green Beans that goes into all of those adventures here if you want to check it out.  I will have a lot to say about nutrition over there, as well as home improvement projects, family life, my pets, and pretty much anything else that happens to pop up in life.  

But here, it's about my cakes and this one I made for our youngest cousin as she hit her teen years.  She is a superstar on the basketball court and so fun to watch.  She is also just hitting her girly stride
and it is so much fun to watch her blossoming into a beautiful young lady.  But basketball is her thing and when it came time to do her cake I wanted it to be special.  I also wanted it to look a little girly so I added the sparkles to the letters and her name and then the flower just seemed to call out to me!

When it was all said and done, I think it turned out well, and it tasted delicious.  It was white chocolate with vanilla cream.  I also made some chocolate gluten free cupcakes to go with it.  Several of us in my family are in need of those.  The part of it that I ended up liking the most, however, was the board.  I covered it with fondant and put in a basketball hardwood effect for the cake to sit on.  I then brushed on some diluted coloring and held it over some steam for a couple seconds to set it.  I think I could have made it shiny-er so to speak but I like it the way it turned out.  


If there's one thing that is hard for me though about cakes, it's being asked to cut them.  I take so much time getting it all put together and it's hard enough to watch it all disappear in seconds when someone else does the cutting, but when I do it there is just a little tinge of guilt almost.  As if I'm being reckless or wasteful; I don't know but I know I don't like it.  It's probably weird I know because that's why I make them, so they can be enjoyed.  I should probably look at it more like setting up a domino course.  The work takes hours and it needs to be precise to make it all work right but it only takes seconds for it all to be gone.  Then you get to start over and have fun again but this time with the excitement of knowing you did it right and it was enjoyed by all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment