Saturday, November 16, 2013

Peanut Butter Oatmeal cookies converted to Gluten Free



Well by golly I've done it!  Ok, that statement might prove that I've overdone myself watching all the seasons of Downton Abbey while I've been unpacking boxes lately.  But, none the less, I really have done it!  I wanted to bake something, anything really and after looking in my recipe box I decided that I wanted some peanut butter oatmeal cookies.  However, because it's been so long since I've made any kind of cookie at all, I threw in some chocolate chips too in order to make Craig happy too.

I have a recipe that I've used many times in the past and I knew it was a good one, but I wanted to make it gluten free.
So I spent a lot of time doing some math to figure out just how much xanthan gum to use and mixing up a new batch of baking flour.  I also made sure to buy specifically labeled gluten free oats too.  Then I set out to see if I could make it all work.



The results I feel were fantastic!  The cookies were light but moist and chewy.  Not too much sugar, not too dense and not crumbly at all.  I feel almost giddy (oops, there I go again.  It's going to take a bit to get out of my system I'm afraid) One of the big worries I had was that they would either fall apart when I tried to pick them up or they would be so rubbery that they couldn't be washed down with any amount of coffee.  But, I think my math skills proved themselves as much as my baking ones and the ratio seemed to work perfect.



When they first came out of the oven they were so light and airy they almost floated to my mouth but as they cooled they were just the right amount of chew.  I could bite into them and they still held up in my hand just like any other regular flour cookie might.  They are soft but also sort of melt in your mouth too.  mmm. . . . it's a good thing I had to eat so many, just to check all that out of course.



I've never left a recipe for my work before, but this is certainly the time to start.  I don't know exactly where the original recipe came from, it's on a hand written card in my box.  But this is the one that I came up with when I changed the ingredients.  I hope you give it a try and find out how good these are for yourself.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal (chocolate chip) Cookies

3/4 c. Shortening
1 c. Peanut Butter
1 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 c. gluten free oats (I used the quick cooking kind)
1 1/2 c. gluten free all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xantan gum
1-2 cups chocolate chips (optional. If you put them in use whatever amount you feel is best)

Beat the shortening, peanut butter and brown sugar together until creamy and lightened.  Beat in the water, egg and vanilla.  In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients together.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.  Add in the chocolate chips and stir just enough to mix them through the batter.  Cover and chill for 1-2 hours.  Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Drop by 1-1 1/2" spoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges just turn brown.  You can flatten them in a criss-cross pattern with a fork if you want to give them a traditional peanut butter cookie look, however, the oatmeal is going to keep that from happening very well anyway.  I just left them as is.

Makes about 4-5 dozen cookies.

I hope you enjoy them!

PS - I'll share my all purpose flour mixture in an upcoming post

No comments:

Post a Comment