Saturday, April 14, 2012

Marshmallows



I've made a list of recipes that I want to get to and marshmallows was definately on it. A great opportunity presented itself when my daughter was invited to a camping adventure - where s'mores would be involved, of course. So I set out to see if it really was as easy as everyone seems to say. I would agree that it wasn't as hard as I had it in my head that it would be, however it does get messy. 









Melt in your mouth ooey gooey goodness!



I'm glad that I decided to actually follow the proper steps and have the pan all ready to go.  I also have 2 mixing bowls for my KitchenAid so that one could sit with the gelatin while the other I used to whip up the egg whites & sugar.  I didn't get a picture of the sugar, corn syrup & water boiling but I had plenty of time to do it.  It was one of those great times when I was trying to be patient while the pot started to boil - "a watched pot" and all that.  It turned out that I had the wrong burner on and didn't even notice for quite some time!  Once pot met hot burner it began to boil nicely and once it reached the proper 260 degrees I added it to the gelatin.  Then that went into the whipped up egg whites and after @ 7 minutes it was like thick cake batter and ready to be put into the pan to set up. 

2 hours later I dumped a bunch of powdered sugar onto a clean counter and the mess began!  Cutting it, putting the pieces into a bag with some sugar & cornstarch then my favorite part - eating one.  To make sure they turned out, of course.  Mine were a little soft but certainly still fine.  They all headed out the door to the camp-out so I'm hoping to get a good report on how they tasted as those s'mores. 

No comments:

Post a Comment