Wednesday, September 24, 2014

No bake cookies



A few weeks ago I was standing at the grocery store counter waiting to pay just like any other time.  But this time I succumbed to the impulse buying strategy imposed upon us while we wait.  There was a beautiful looking no bake cookie all packaged up and waiting to help me make my drive home nice and yummy and I didn't resist.  Afterward, however, I started looking at the ingredients list and realized that I could make that same cookie very easily.  It was a good one; no preservatives or gluten or anything.  I looked through my recipe box and found a couple of different ones and compared them to the ingredient list.  With a couple modifications I came up with the same components and adjusted the amounts to what looked to be right.  I was so pleased with the results!



The only problem is that now I have a wonderful recipe that takes very little time to put together and makes absolutely delicious cookies!  I call them 4 way stop cookies because
they have four main ingredients and everyone comes to a stop at the plate to grab one.  Even though they are gluten free and use all organic ingredients, they do still have a lot of sugar, so that helps in making sure I eat them slowly.  One cookie per afternoon is what I have set for myself, the rest of my family doesn't live by that though.  The batch I made didn't last very long and now I have to decide how long to wait until I make another one.

That was long enough - off to the kitchen :)



4 Way Stop No Bake Cookies

2 c. organic white sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. almond milk
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla
1 pinch salt
1/2 c. peanut butter
2 3/4 c. quick cook gluten free oats
1/2 c. unsweetened shredded coconut

In a saucepan on medium heat combine the sugar, cocoa, milk and butter.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.


Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in vanilla, salt, peanut butter, oats and coconut.





Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto waxed paper.  Allow cookies to cool 1 hour.  Store in an airtight container.




I smashed the spoonfuls because I was trying to make them look like the store bought variety.



For smaller cookies this will make @ 30-36; less for larger sized cookies of course.

I also believe that adding some nuts to this would be great for added crunch.






No comments:

Post a Comment