Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cheesecake - oh yes!


I have to admit, I put this off for a while.  It intimidated me.  I've heard way too many stories of how hard it is to get right, plus, frankly it's not really one of my favorite desserts.  Then add to it that it's also somehow - common.  I know that sounds like an oxymoron - complicated yet common, but it's true.  Every restaurant seems to have a version on their menu, whether good or bad it seems to show up at potlucks, family gatherings and parties all the time. 

But as I was reading through the custard section and Alton Brown stated "(cheesecake is) Significant because if you can consistently make good ones, fame shall be yours and strangers will bow low when you walk by." I must admit that I was a little more inspired to become good at making them. 

It seemed like the process was actually fairly simple but the trick is to do each step perfectly.  A fine challenge.  So I began. . .

pretty typical graham cracker crust - Alton suggests avoiding springform pans, but I didn't
 
mixing & scraping the cream cheese & sugar before adding the eggs, vanilla, sweetened condensed milk & sour cream

The oven that I did not open, did not touch & did not mess with in any way for 1 full hour

After 1 hour with the oven on and 1 more with the oven off

another hour to cool then into the fridge until the edges pulled away from the pan
 
Apparently a cheesecake that has been overcooked - or rushed - has cracks on the top.  Ok, insert a chuck on the shoulder here, no cracks :)
 
The last test of a good cheesecake is to eat it without any toppings except maybe a little bit of fresh fruit.  I went ahead and made a pomegrante sauce, but put kept in a separate bowl on the side. 
 

It was rich, creamy and full of flavor!  I'm pretty satisfied with the results.  The feedback I got through the "mmm" & "this is good" was that it might be perfect, but I should try again just to be sure.  I think that might just be an attempt to make sure I don't check it off as a success and not come back to it again.  I'm pretty sure that won't happen, I think I might have even moved it up higher on my own list of favorite desserts.  But I guess I will just have to make another one and check since I haven't seen any strangers trying to bow low when I walk by yet ;)


The dessert buffet on Thanksgiving!  Pumpkin pie is a custard too and while I believe that it should only be served freshly baked from scratch - never store bought - I didn't think it needed it's own post.  I think we're all pretty clear how wonderful it is on the holiday table! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment