Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Shortcake for Fathers Day


It was kind of handy that my next project coming up was shortcake just before Father's day because it is a dessert that my Dad is very fond of!  So I held off for a couple of days and invited the clan over for dessert on the special day.  Usually strawberries get to be the star of the show and in "I'm just here for more food" Alton Brown suggests using blueberries, but I decided to go with a mixed berry medley of blackberries, raspberries and blueberries for mine.  Of course a dollop of fresh vanilla whipping cream was final touch too. 

The process for the shortcake was fairly easy and whipped up pretty quick too.  I've made this before with a recipe from Betty Crocker but it has been a long time.  I didn't have time on the holiday to do a comparison, but I think that might be necessary in the near future.  I thought I would show how I interpret the "hound dog ear" method of mixing in the cold butter.  It is like massaging a hound dog's ear - thus the name. 






about 1/2 mixed well with the other 1/2 left in pea sized chunks

After the wet goes in and a short time of kneading

I thought they'd get "puffier" but the tasted soft & fluffy without being too sweet


Add the berries. . .


and voila!!



No comments:

Post a Comment