Saturday, June 23, 2012

Blackberry Grunt


It has a funny name, but it was next on the list so I had to give it a try!  Apparently the berries make a grunting sound while they bake in the oven - thus the name.  It is kind of like chicken and dumplings but with fruit!  The dumplings were moist and chewy but not dense.  They were fluffy almost while still being full of berry juices.  It is a beautiful dessert worthy of serving any time - it does require the oven, so in my opinion it makes a better breakfast in the summer than an evening treat.  I am of the thought process that pretty much all desserts are good for breakfast.  I think that's why it is my favorite meal of the day! 

I had some fresh raspberries to use up too so I didn't think anyone would mind if they were added in.  Then they were just boiled down with some sugar & ginger, which was a nice touch I thought, until they were a bit thicker

the dough which is very similar to shortcake but without kneading or rolling

after dropping in the dough, it just went into the oven to brown up

the dumplings plumped up and the berries soaked into them for utter berryliciousness


Can you see the steam?  This was a bowl of perfect breakfast heaven!


No comments:

Post a Comment