Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Free Form Apple Pie


And, finally, back to my regularly scheduled program!  After all the adventures of summer I was able to get back to going through the recipes in Alton Brown's book "I'm just here for more food".  I'm still finishing up the "biscuit method" with the pie crust variation.  This was a very good pie, enjoyed by all in my family.  However, I think I make a really mean pie crust myself and for the effort, I think I'll stick to my own after this.  This one had cornmeal in it and was pretty gritty before it was cooked but turned out much flakier and smooth after being in the oven. 



The apples themselves were delicious and the cheddar mixed in added a great flavor as well.  It was interesting to add the pound cake I thought.  When I make a traditional apple pie I love the way the sugars and juices of the filling soak into the crust - it's almost candy-like to me.  With the cake under the apples it soaked up those juices and it was good, but I think next time I might leave it out and see how that goes. 


there is nothing better than fresh ground nutmeg!




I served this with a little vanilla ice cream on the side - yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment